This page contains the names and descriptions of all articles published in Mustang Monthly during 1989; It does not contain the text of the articles — rather, it is a guide to assist you in locating which back issue might contain the information you need.
Mustang Monthly – January 1990
How To: Analyze And Repair A Charging System
- Search and restore, and rebuild an alternator.
Carroll Shelby. The Driving Force Reflects
- We talk with the man behind the motivation.
- Coincidence and Carroll Shelby transformed the Mustang.
Shelby Price Watch
- A sampling and projection of market trends.
How To: Identify Muscle Mustang Tires
- An I.D. Guide to compare original “raised white letter” rubber.
Rick Kopec–Direct Line To The Shelby Phenomenon
- Words from the Co-Director of the Shelby American Automobile Club.
R Is For Race
- …and Rick Kopec’s authentic ’65 Shelby GT-350R will Race.
’65 Times 5
- Daytona hosts a handful of Mr. Shelby’s Mustangs.
The “Best” Trophy Winner
- Paul Fix’s “leftover” ’66 GT-350 wins its share of gold.
A Kinder, Gentler Shelby?
- Jan Orme’s ’67 GT-500 is nothing but tough.
Ten Year Promise
- Adam Scheps waited a decade to fulfill a “KR” pledge.
- Bill Bush has a Shelby for show, and this one for driving.
Bonus: Shelby Poster
- Mustang Monthly commemorates the GT-350’s 25th Anniversary.
Update The Registry
- Kevin Caldwell’s SFM6S2008 is now in concours condition.
- No daily rates for Vicki Pond’s ’66 GT-350H.
Mexican, To Go!
- John Brad Wagner’s ’69 Shelby de Mexico GT-350.
Pacific Coast Blue
- New life for Bob Thrower’s ocean-colored ’68 GT-500.
How To: Identify Magnum 500 Wheels
- What’s right for Boss Mustangs, and the ’71-’72 Mach 1.
How To: Diagnose Your Cooling System
- Avoid Mustang overheating through regular maintenance.
Mustang Monthly – February 1990
How To: Begin A 302 Engine Overhaul
- Stage One: An organized disassembly of an ’85 5.0L engine.
50 Ways To Take Your Trophy
- Tips for improving your show scores, from folks who’ve been there.
The Year Of The Mustang
- A Review of 1989, the Anniversary Year.
275 Horsepower To Go!
- The new Steeda GT Mustang. At your Ford dealer, soon.
Midwest Easy Style
- Jack Sell’s ’67 hardtop fits a comfortable life.
- Don and Nina Smith restored a local ’69 Boss 302.
The Phoenician Conqueror
- It overshadows the Hendersons’ Caspian convertible.
2nd Owner, 2nd Chance
- Don Vogel’s ’68 GT/CS. A project car leads to a new career.
It Even Smells New
- Howard J. Eide’s unrestored ’66 hardtop.
Fourteen More Points
- Perfection is the goal for Gerald and Stella Smestead.
- A vintage Ford-Fest at the Mid-Ohio Grand Prix.
How To: Install Larger Rear Drum Brakes
- Upgrade to 2-1/2 inch brakes. Increase your “whoa” power.
Interview: Dave Ash
- Behind the scenes with the Chief Designer of the Mustang.
Mustang Monthly – March 1990
How To: Machine Your 302 Engine Components
- Stage Two of the 5.0L rebuild. Knowing what to schedule and expect from a machine shop.
5.0l Performance Report
- Ford’s new RHO 302 engine. Street Mustangs with Race Track abilities. Highway Patrol cars for sale. Some folks get lucky.
Thanks To My Wife…
- Tim Ivanoffs ’65 convertible was not a one-man job.
Through The Wringer
- John Eversole’s ’70 Mach 1 has emerged crisp and fresh.
A Kick To Drive
- Rod Lyda’s Tahoe Turquoise ’66 hardtop hits the streets.
- Richard Sansing’s solo sweat produced a restored ’67 GT fastback.
The Wonder Years
- A perfect time frame for a Candyapple Red ’69 Mustang convertible.
The Future Is Now
- Is Lauren Jonas’s ’83 GT convertible “worth something?” You bet.
- When Mark Kemesky wanted to go fast, he went to Steve Saleen. When he wanted to go faster, he went to Ak Miller.
Honey, I Shrunk The Traffic
- A business trip in a 5.0L Mustang LX.
Show Time Down South
- A gathering of Florida’s best at Cypress Gardens.
How To: Identify Space Saver Spare Tires
- An I. D. guide to ’69-’73 Mustang spare tires.
Mustang Monthly – April 1990
How To Restore A Mustang Interior
- We breathe new life into a ’66 Deluxe interior.
How To Install Motorsport Springs
- Better performance and appearance for a late model Mustang.
Western Hot Stuff
- The California Special GT/CS is more than just a State of Mind.
Nuggets In The Hills
- The gold in California gets more Special every day.
- The barter system and years of work for Dave Heatherington’s GT/CS.
- The Alderson workshop is a renovated cattle shed. Wish you had one?
- Steve and Sherri Boresow’s GT/CS was a winner right out of the gate.
- The Podemskis have already reworked their ’79 Cobra.
The Rumor Mill
- A Scrapyard Shelby: Rick Amsden’s ’65 GT-350.
- Clarence Thompson’s Tropical Turquoise ’65 convertible.
How To: Reassemble A Reconditioned 302 Engine
- Stage Three: Some assembly required. Start it up!
Mustang Monthly – May 1990
How To Upgrade Your Mustang’s Sounds
- We’re talking about music, not tailpipe rumble.
Parade Lap At Daytona
- The Shelby Anniversary wins a Pass in Review.
How To Add 16-Inch Wheels To Your Mustang
- Swap factory Thunderbird wheels for looks and handling.
- A look at what could have been original Mustang parts.
How To Install Flofit Sport Seats
- Add comfort and safety to your Mustang, old or new.
How To Replace ’73 Mustang Upholstery
- Tired of the shredded look? Try a one-day transformation.
How To Install A Late-Model Roll Bar
- Add structure and safety to your road rocket.
- Mustang Monthly breaks new ground in covering the hobby.
- A Ford family’s big-block ’79 Mustang.
- John Mancini’s ’70 SportsRoof is sharp and quick.
- Sunset Ford’s modified convertibles get showroom attention.
- Mel Harbaugh’s deceptive ’66 hardtop.
Ford Didn’t Build One
- -so Neal Polan created his own ’64-1/2 GT convertible.
New England Nobility
- The ’67 Shelby GT-500. Pete Wolff’s class act in Connecticut.
Four Stages To Satisfaction
- John Stastny brought up his concours 73 Mach 1 step by step.
- Bill Johnson’s winning ’71 convertible has seen tough times.
- A combination of ’66 hardtop, and three years’ work.
Stop Watching. Start Racing
- Excitement isn’t always for the other folks. Give it a try.
How To Speak “Mustangese”
- A primer on lingo. It’s hard to travel not knowing the language.
An Index To Mustang Monthly For 1989
- Ken Sluys’ update listing of last year’s articles and topics.
Mustang Monthly – June 1990
How To Rebuild An Air Conditioning Compressor
- Classic Auto Air’s rebuilding components will get you frosty.
How To Install A Schroth Harness
- Increase your safety factor with a custom belt system.
I.D. Guide To Early Mustang Seatbelts
- A pictorial reference for ’64-’67 lap restraints and hardware.
Vroom With A View
- This ’65 Mustang lets Steve Mallos adapt to the scenery.
Clean And Simple
- Tim Huber’s ’70 Convertible is made for luxury motoring.
The Memory Did Not Quit
- Hank D’Amico’s 20-year dream is a genuine GT-350 convertible.
Made To Win, The Hard Way
- Dean Lawry’s ’67 convertible reached excellence by the long road.
Low Miles, High Visibility
- Allan St. Jacques’ convertible gives new meaning to “Car in Tow.”
Best Of Both Worlds
- It’s open air driving for Tom Dushatinski’s ’71 Cobra Jet.
Off The Beaten Path
- Touches of tomorrow and yesterday for Tom Bader’s ’85 GT.
Goodies For The ’90s
- Hot new speed and appearance products for 5.0L Mustangs.
How To Install Late Model Gt Exhaust Trumpets
- Dugan Racing taps tradition to make a new car look hotter.
Mustang Monthly – July 1990
How To Replace Rusted Floorpans
- Fix the flaked-away floors of a ’69 or ’70 Mustang.
The Real Source
- Cars & Concepts: the new Mustang Convertible Convertors.
How To Identify Hi-Po Engine Components
- Knowing the High Performance difference can save you trouble, money and time.
Rangoon Red Hot
- Bob Schalk, Jr. gets respect for his K-GT ’65 fastback.
More Than Just A…
- The Wickstroms wanted a daily driver. They found a Hi-Po.
An Absolute Keeper
- Bob Langland’s ’65 K-GT is a family heirloom. As of now.
Second Time Around
- Kurt Heber sold one, then found another ’70 Boss 302.
This Modern Life
- A former ’68-1/2 Cobra Jet owner opts for a ’90 GT.
I.D. Guide To The 428 Cobra Jet Engine
- Concours detailing the ’68-1/2 through ’70 powerhouse.
Factory Shop Tips
- Great hints and How-Tos from vintage Ford Technical Bulletins.
Mustang Monthly – August 1990
How To Replace Rearend Sheet Metal
- We fix dented and rusted panels on a ’73 hardtop.
How To Install A Centerforce Clutch
- Upgrade your 5.0L Mustang without sacrificing street comfort.
Draw This Car?
- An invitation to design the next phase Mustang.
A Best Thing Not Free
- Allen Wagner’s 21,000-mile ’70 Boss 429. An expensive bargain.
First Things First
- Fred Gray could not restore his ’66 GT until he built a garage.
The Definition Of Fun
- This Shelby’s “KR” initials mean “Kachigian’s Ride.”
Total Points Driver
- Friends helped with Ron Waring’s street-show restoration.
Let’s Make A Deal
- Two hours’ haggling over a ’68 GT earns years of satisfaction.
- Steve Bendel’s ’72 Mach 1 had to be restored twice.
Florida Goes North
- Peter Dymond’s ’65 fastback went to Canada to retire.
- It takes one to catch one. The new watchword of law enforcement.
The Chp’s (Not-So) Secret Weapon
- Mustang Power has made the difference for eight years.
Down, But Far From Out
- A veteran Mustanger fights back from disaster.
Mustang Monthly – September 1990
The Restoration Top Fifty
- Basic and advanced project tips. For all Mustangers.
How To Finish A Sheet Metal Replacement
- We paint and polish fresh bodywork on a ’73 Mustang hardtop.
How To Install Five-Way Adjustable Shocks
- Give new Mustangs flexibility with Tokico Illumina Fives. PLUS: Steeda Autosports solves uneven disc brake pad wear.
Apexing The Threshold
- TrackTime teaches “car control” to out-of-control editors.
How To Shop For Mustang Parts
- After buying a vintage Mustang, we all ask, “Where to next?”
- Jim Fannin’s Caspian Blue ’64-1/2 Hi-Po Convertible.
Rarely Rented Racer
- Randy Ream found a low mileage ’66 Shelby GT-350H.
- Glen Burgess restored a premier ’68 Mustang for a new driver.
Always The Boss
- Teny and Linda Gritten’s sizzling red ’70 Boss 302.
Just Plain Rare
- A concours ’73 six-cylinder convertible is not often seen.
Vintage Random Chance
- Bruce Weiss lucked into a special ’68-1/2 Cobra Jet drag racer.
The Holiday Weekend
- America’s rural roads survive a new Mustang GT convertible.
Catalog Showcase ’90
Mustang Monthly – October 1990
How To: Overhaul A ’70-’73 Steering Column
- A faulty ignition switch leads to a complete rebuild.
What’s Hot! What’s Not
- A look at current trends, from collectibles and investments to clothes, Mustang activities, customizing, video stuff, and more.
Mustang – New Wheels For ’91
- The small changes are larger than they look.
- Don Phillips applied “know-how” to a K-GT fastback.
- Al and Doris Friedel feel compelled to excel. But not to sell.
Last Minute Save
- E.G. Hardy headed a ’66 fastback away from the junkyard.
- A personal letter from the owners of a ’68 convertible.
- Jeff Mosley shows a unique ’72 Mustang.
- Veteran racer Walt Hane is reunited with a winning Shelby.
10 Questions For Walt Hane
- Back in action: the ’66 SCCA B/Production champion.
Dyno Tested: 5.0l Headers
- We compare two popular “shortie” headers for H.O. Mustangs.
Mustang Monthly – November 1990
Mustangs At Speed, The First Generation
- Thanks to their size and power, early Mustangs got a workout.
Dyno Test: The Interceptor
- A big new step toward customizing 5.0L EEC-IV computer data.
How To: Decode Underhood Build Tags
- Assembly line options in shorthand. A partial answer to 100 questions.
How To: Update A Late Model Carburetor
- A tech master takes a Holley 4180 to the edge.
- The ’90 Saleen SC: Performance and comfort in their best package.
- Dennis and Helen Smith found another ’70 Boss 302.
- Boyd McPherson dressed his GT-350H for serious racing.
Fire In The Mountains
- Wayne and Tracey Ellis reach altitude in a sparkling ’69 hardtop.
Power By Finesse
- An SVO Mustang wins the heart of a Thunderbird enthusiast.
- Skip Youngdahl pilots a ’65 GT convertible.
Racing The 5.0l Mustangs
- IMSA and SCCA competition is tough going, but fun in H.O. Mustangs.
National Club Roster
- A semi-annual listing of Mustang clubs.
Mustang Monthly – December 1990
The Fastest 5.0l Mustangs
- Top late-model Mustangs gather for a mid-Ohio showdown.
How To: Identify Boss 302 Thermactor
- COMPONENTS…and know the difference between ’69 and ’70 Boss 302 systems.
- The ’70 Boss 302 by which all others are measured.
Short Order Special
- Bob Petrie found a ’66 GT Convertible on the menu.
Curtain Call Cj
- Charlie Plylar’s ’71 Mach 1 Cobra Jet. One of the last Big Ones.
Fine, Fine, Fine
- Cliff Ernst enjoys the 428 CJ engine in his ’69 Shelby convertible.
- Tom Daniel’s big block ’67 GT fastback traveled the long road.
- The absolute muscle convertible, a ’69–not for cruising.
Rio Grande Fiesta
- We visit Albuquerque to cap a year of fine shows.
How To: Identify Boss Mustang Spoilers
- Four vintage Mustang air dams are compared.
A Box Of Parts
- Once in pieces, John Pizio’s ’69 Boss 302 is a survivor.
Gathering Of The Clan
- The 15th Shelby-American convention visits Ohio and Michigan.