This page contains the names and descriptions of all articles published in Mustang Illustrated during 1992; It does not contain the text of the articles — rather, it is a guide to assist you in locating which back issue might contain the information you need.
Mustang & Fords – January 1992
- If you think this ’69 Mustang coupe is sedate, glance again at the shaker hoodscoop.
Cj Spotter’s Guide
- A definitive list of parts for Cobra Jet-powered Fords.
- A convertible ’67 Cougar XR7 was never built, so Kevin Marti constructed his own.
- Highlights and high-points of rebuilding and restoring your 428 CJ engine.
The 7-Liter Lectures: Driveline Detailing
- Identifying and detailing the correct parts for the high-performance FE Galaxie.
Cobras Of Course
- More than historic, this pair of Shelbys represent the finest restored racers.
- Judging by our standards, the MCA Grand Nationals were a home run.
Ford Retrospect: ’69-’70 Boss 302
- Comparing the classic Trans-Am racers to the high-strung street Mustang.
- Craftsmanship is the key word for Chris Mott’s Windsor-powered Mustang.
Ready To Run Performance
- Complete engines that are ready to install in your project, whether it’s resto or rad.
Swap & Go
- Easy kits for installing a bigger and better Ford drivetrain in your Blue Oval.
You Build It!
- A comprehensive engine kit guide for the budget-minded Ford engine builder.
Higher Power A ’67 Gta
- Mustang with both an honorable past and an impressive future.
Mustang & Fords – March 1992
Ford Retrospect: ’67 Mustang 390 Gt
- Celebrating the FE-powered ponycars that were built for everyone.
- Top-down cruising in a big-block ’67 Mustang.
- Shelby’s GT500 offered additional muscle and a performance stance.
- Legendary in look, it was the 390 that made the fastback a favorite.
Fe Oiling System Secrets
- Steps to adding reliable service to your 390/428 big-block.
- An added performance dimension to Carroll Shelby’s big-block GT.
Ford Swaps, U.S.A.
- Plan your vacation to include one of these Ford parts events.
- One of the biggest performance legends: the ’68 Ford XL GT Galaxie.
Hi-Po Cleaner Guide
- Identifying and discovering the correct part for your ponycar.
- Due respect for the Mustang II–king of the jungle.
- The 5.0L exhaust comparison that gives you all the details.
Window Of Opportunity
- Crane’s Interceptor computer takes the voodoo out of electronic performance improvements.
- With 10,000 lakes, Minnesota also proves they have a fair share of fine Fords, too!
- A Ram Air ’73 Mustang with a two-barrel 351C.
7-Liter Lectures: The Art Of Refinishing
- A lesson in patience and Galaxie paint and body.
Mustang & Fords – May 1992
The Making Of The Mach
- A history lesson on the speed-of-sound ‘Stang.
- An arrest-me red ’69 CJ Mach 1.
Mach 1 Restorer’s Shopping Guide
- Sources for new-old-stock, reproduction, and used Mach 1 parts.
- Sources say that this Mach 1 is George Foreman’s favorite.
The End Of Time?
- The Mustang II Mach 1: A small pony with a legend to live up to.
Geared Up To Go
- Manual transmission choices for both early and late-model Mustangs.
Autolite 2v Rebuild
- EZ steps to reviving your stock two-barrel carb.
’93 Mustang Cobra: Strike Back
- The upcoming interim Mustang that has the Camaro shaking in its Gatorbacks.
Judged For Yourself
- The 10th annual Mustang Round-Up at Cypress Gardens.
- Expert advice regarding the early Mustang’s most popular option.
- Baer Racing took on the world with its Saleen, and won.
Power Brake Conversion
- Adding the safety and reliability of power brakes to your pony.
Asc/Mclaren Capris & Mustangs
- A retrospective look at the prime cut of late models.
Leaf Spring Replacement
- Give the originals a vacation after 28 years on the job.
Four Doors & Furious
- The Falcon GT-HO Phase III: The legend from Oz.
Converting To ’66 Instruments
- Lose those idiot lights and go with gauges.
Mustang & Fords – July 1992
Big Boy & Boss ‘Nines
- Making history with a fleet of 14 muscle Mustangs.
- Born for racing, the fastbacks did more than just look good.
- Separating fiction from fact on the legendary semi-hemi Mustang.
’69 Fairlane Cobra
- The name was changed to protect the innocent and finger the guilty.
- Cylinder head wonder for Windsors: 100+ horsepower at only $19.95 each.
- A closer look at the winning NASCAR Winston Cup Ford Thunderbirds.
- The decision to return this ’72 Mustang to original condition was easy.
- Disc brakes that perform equal to your 5.0s acceleration ability.
- The Comet Cyclone: Mercury’s short-range assault weapon.
The Pursuit Of Happiness
- You’ve been watching long enough! It’s time for you to race your Ford.
Sweating The Details
- A ’65 GT350 that may look restored, but is actually all original.
- Acquiring EEC-IV trouble codes with common electronic tools.
- Crane’s Interceptor takes the hocus-pocus out of 5.0L computing.
Mustang & Fords – September 1992
Top 40 Fords
- The only election that really matters this year.
’64 1/2-’68 Mustangs!
- In the beginning, there was the ponycar, and these are your favorites.
- When musclecar became part of the Ford Mustang vocabulary.
- From the redefinition of ponycar to the return of traditional performance.
- Mercury’s ponycar: a cat on the prowl.
- Learning the lessons of the classics from a bygone era.
- Your votes select five of Carroll’s finest.
- Galaxies and Crown Vics with mass appeal.
- Taking the middle ground with Fairlanes and Torinos.
- Small in stature but big in popularity.
- Personal transportation as defined by the 37-year-old legend.
- From pick-ups to personal-use utility vehicles.
- A restored ’66 GT convertible that drives as well as it looks.
Up Close: Dual-Point
- Rebuilding and detailing a “K-code” 289 distributor.
60 Years Of Ford V8’s
- Tracing the roots of the engine design that got America rolling.
Larger Than Life
- How big can you take a 385-series 460 big-block engine? Don’t ask!
Road Test: ’93 Probe Gt
- Front-wheel-drive performance that looks as good as it goes.
- The ’68 1/2 Shelby GT500 KR: A topless yet tasteful performer.
Mustang & Fords – November 1992
Road Test 427 S/C
- It’s a tough job, but somebody has to test Shelby’s new Cobra.
- Fresh from Ford, the SVT Mustang Cobra and F-15O Lightning.
In Shelby’s Image
- The SAAC Car Company’s ragtop Mk. II: a modern-day GT350?
Up Close: Toploader
- Rebuilding tech insight on Ford’s venerable four-speed.
- N.O.S.’s street-legal squeeze kit for EFI Mustangs.
Pursuit Of Pleasure
- Steeda’s 13-second option package available from a Ford dealer near you.
- Vortech turns up the speed of its street-legal blower for additional boost.
- Team Mustang’s tasty limited-edition LX.
25 Resto Secrets
- Mustang judges tell all! The things you need to know to win.
Hot Parts Catalog Section
- Gobs of holiday wish items for Mustang restorers, Ford collectors, and Blue-Oval racers.
- DDMI/Spearco’s emission-legal 375hp twin-turbo system for 5.0s.
Retrospect: 427 Cobra
- A historical look at the world’s fastest production car.
- Chris Agee’s ’71 351 CJ Mach 1 leaves an indelible image.
- Wayne Myers provides inside info on restoring a 428CJ Torino Cobra.