This page contains the names and descriptions of all articles published in Mustang Monthly during 1998; It does not contain the text of the articles — rather, it is a guide to assist you in locating which back issue might contain the information you need.
Mustang Monthly – January 1998
- As Mustang Monthly enters its twentieth year of publication next month, get ready to celebrate with us!
Black Plate Special
- Jack Bell’s 1965 Shelby GT-350.
How To: 351 Cleveland Detailing
- Last month we built a hot-performing 351; this month we pull out all the detailing stops.
Svt Cobra Vs. Cobra Jet: Clash Of The Titans!
- Thirty years separate the mightiest flagships of the Ford line — in 1998, which one is king?
How To: Project ’68 Exterior Bright Work Installation
- Our fastback gets some shiny, new chrome moldings, emblems and lights.
- Ron Bennett’s 1970 Mach 1.
How To: Modified Door Panels
- Adding visual flair to your Mustang’s interior is as simple as adding new door panels.
- Mike Alameda’s 1971 Mach 1 “007 Car.”
- Feeding our interior need with aftermarket cream.
- Sean Forbes’ 1994 Coupe.
- Mustang Cobra–from floor pan to final inspection.
- More classified ads than ever before are now inside Mustang Monthly!
- Joel Franckowiak’s 1967 GT Fastback.
Mustang Monthly – February 1998
- Mustang Monthly celebrates 20 years on the trail.
What It Was And More
- Ron and Cindy Movinski’s 1966 hardtop.
How To: Install A Convertible Folding Glass
- Improve your 1965-66 convertible’s looks and rear window view with a folding back glass.
- Dan Martin’s 1968 Shelby GT-350.
Persistence Pays Off
- Bob and Beryl Neitz’s 1969 GT convertible.
- Roger and Debra Healy’s 1973 Grande.
- If you have a vintage car, these events may be your best bets for parts.
How To: Air-Conditioner Compressor Rebuild
- We tackle a vintage York compressor using a kit offered by Classic Auto Air.
How To: Use Diagnostic Test Equipment On Your Late-Model Mustang
- Save money by diagnosing and repairing your own ignition, fuel, electrical and drivability problems.
How To: Install A Performance Suspension On Your ’81-93 Mustang
- Mustang Monthly’s Modern Mach hugs the curves with Kenny Brown’s AGS 3 system.
- Karen Knight’s 1988 Saleen.
Mustang By Jaguar
- Pat Noonan’s modified 1965 convertible.
Mustang Monthly – March 1998
- Steve and Linda Stoddard’s 1965 GT fastback.
- Rudy and June Bleakley’s 1969 Shelby GT-500.
How To: 1964-1/2 To 1966 Console Redo
- Parts are now readily available to help you make your early-model console a focal point to be proud of.
How To: Installing And Gapping Breaker Points
- A helpful guide for Mustangers who have never been exposed to maintenance of point-type ignitions.
Sprint For The Spring
- Jim and Glenda Reynolds’ 1968 Sprint convertible.
- A look at Larry Shinoda’s impressive contributions to automotive design, from the Boss 302 to the Boss Shinoda.
Not An Sr-2
- Rick Hoetmor’s 1969 Boss 302.
- Dennis Koons’ 1970 Boss 302.
How To: 1965-66 Disc Brake Detailing
- The low down on the parts and methods you need to make your brake system shine.
How To: Project “Modern Mach” — Geared For Action
- We beef up our 5.0’s performance with a 3.55 gear set and 31-spline differential and racing axles.
Manual Of Manuals
- The strengths, weaknesses, specs and ongoing upgrades to the T5, and an overview of the Tremec 3550 and Borg Warner T56.
- Bob Egleston’s 1985 GT hatchback
Desert Dream … Or The Nightmare From Nevada
- Wayne Bowles’ 1971 Mach 1.
Mustang Monthly – April 1998
- Tim and Brenda Timmins’ 1965 fastback.
- Dean Dike’s 1967 Shelby GT-350.
- How to find the right restoration shop and make your Mustang’s restoration a good experience.
How To: ’65-66 Bumper Comparison And Installation
- We compare the new KS reproduction bumpers against Nordan and Ford replacement bumpers.
How To: Install A Quarter Panel
- The Lazarus Project gets a skin graft via a 1973 New Old Stock quarter panel.
- Exploring the different materials used in media blasting to help you choose the right medium and blaster for the job.
- Bill Johnson’s 1971 Boss 351.
They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?
- Barry and Judy Bergmann’s 1970 Mach 1.
How To: Paint Buffing And Waxing For Your Mustang
- Resurrect your “dead” paint and bring your Mustang back to show status.
How To: Install Baer Racing Four Wheel Disc Brakes
- Safety in numbers means four discs are better than two.
Paintless Dent Removal
- We follow the PDR process as a trained technician makes our Project LX’s dents disappear.
Best Catalogs For Mustangs!
- The spring edition of our biannual listing to help you find those parts and get busy.
- Doug Pegos’ 1982 GT hatchback.
Mustang Monthly – May 1998
5 Best Mustangs! Experts Pick
- Here is just a sampling of the overwhelming response to our November 1997 request for your favorite Mustangs.
Great Texas/California Special
- Jerry Flowers’s 1968 GT/CS.
How To: Survive Your First Mustang
- For the first time buyer, a Mustang can be great fun … or frustration.
A Pony Trails How-To
- Blending how to with where to, we cover Silver Springs past as well as Carlisle and Tulsa future.
How To: Install New Window Regulators
- New window regulators don’t make your Mustang look hotter, but they do make year pony feel new.
- Leonard and Patricia Paquette’s 1966 convertible.
- Ray Keiling’s 1969 Shelby GT-500.
How To: ’66 Dash Bezel And Lens Replacement
- There is no need to stare at a yellowed lens and flaky chrome when you can have your “speedo spruced” in about an hour.
Stroked 5.0 Dyno Test
- Our 347 Nowak stroker takes its first breath of 93 octane.
- John Joiner’s 1989 ASC McLaren convertible.
How To: Modern Mach Leather Interior Installation
- We recover the seats of our Modern Mach with a presewn leather kit from Texas Mustang Parts.
How To: Install A Single-Key Lock System
- Performance Parts delves into the mysteries of Special Service Mustang parts, and comes up with yet another useful item for your late-model.
Backward And Forward
- Randy and Sheila Laughlin’s 1973 convertible.
Mustang Monthly – June 1998
50 Hot Tech Tips
- Mustang Monthly digs into our bag o’ tricks for some cool Mustang-specific tips.
One Of Many
- Freemon and Margaret Fritsche’s 1965 hardtop.
An Original-Owner Camaro?
- Mark and Judy Kulwik’s 1968 Shelby GT-350.
How To: Cylinder Head Pocket Porting
- Picking up 40 hp from a cast iron head just requires some careful grinding.
Pony Trails: Carlisle And Mid-America
- Yeee-ha! Grab your boots and hat — we’re going on a trail ride!
A Wild Ride
- Steve and Tranna Estes’ 1966 modified convertible.
Takin’ A Dip
- We finally take the big step and have the Lazarus Project chemically stripped and de-rusted.
How To: 1971-73 Battery Detailing
- This relatively small task will enhance the look of your vintage engine bay in a big way.
- Three times the Mustang has led the pack at Indy, and the street replicas still lead in collector popularity.
How To: Replace ’79-93 Window Runs And Moldings
- Dress up your windows and stop rattles and wind noise, all in an afternoon.
Papa’s Pride And Joy
- Ralph Papa’s 1969 Mach 1.
How To: Sn-95 Side Scoops
- Classic Design Concepts puts a pair of late-model scoops in every box.
- James Ray’s 1995 Roush Stage 3 convertible.
Generation X Head-Turner
- Tammy Pickard’s 1967 GTA convertible.
Mustang Monthly – July 1998
- The strange and wonderful world of Mustangs is full of quirks … we just point out a few of them.
Pony Trails: Mustang Roundup ’98
- North and west we go to cover the roundup in Bellevue, Washington.
- Jeff Krueger’s ’68 hardtop.
Wright Makes Might
- Mike Wright’s ’70 Mach 1.
How To: Wheels, Tires, And Suspension
- Add wheels and tires to update your classic pony’ appearance, and bolt on suspension to make it handle.
How To: Torque Boxes And Framerails
- When the framerails are rotten, you have no choice but replacement. We show you how on a ’65 convertible.
- Bob Perkins’ ’71 Boss 351.
- Ronald and Diane Gall’s ’77 Mustang II.
- We’ve found new information concerning the ’65-66 bumper comparison story.
How To: Replace A Late-Model Mustang Rack-And-Pinion Steering Unit
- Leaks and poor steering response make our ’91 5.0’s rack a candidate for replacement.
- Debbie Blaylock’s ’93 Saleen SA-10.
How To: Sn-95 Alternator Upgrade For ’87-93 5.0 Mustangs
- Increase your charging system’s capability and still look “Ford” under the hood.
- CSX 4000 series.
Mustang Price Guide
- Limited Production Models.
- Ken Olsen’s ’65 GT fastback.
Mustang Monthly – August 1998
Choose To Cruise
- How and where to cruise!
Hood Stripes Aplenty!
- All the paint on hood stripes you could want from ’64-1/2 to ’73 models.
How To: Rebuild A ’71-73 Steering Box
- Yes, Ford did install a Saginaw (GM) integral power steering gearbox in ’71- 73 Mustangs.
The Perkins’ Collection
- Ever wonder what a ’60s Ford dealership would look like today? Bob Perkins has the answer.
The Last Hoorah
- As the summer of 1998 draws to a close, we set out on our last trail in the wilds of Tennessee.
Hanging Close To Home
- Ted Parkhurst’s ’70 convertible.
- Stacy Pendergrass’ ’66 GT350.
- Bill Dellert’s ’66 convertible.
- Alan Faber’s ’73 convertible.
- Johnnie Garner’s ’67 T-5 convertible.
How To: I-4 Into V-8 Conversion
- There are good reasons to make the complicated swap from your late-model’s inline four to V-8.
How-To: Late-Model Door Glass Install
- There’s only one solution for broken door glass–replacement.
- Curtis Rookiard’s ’90 Saleen.
Trading Mundane For Mighty
- David d’Happart’s ’88 sedan and Chris Parker’s ’89 GT.
Mustang Monthly – September 1998
- Awesome rides inside
How To: Build A 289
- The heart of Project ’68 gets a bypass
How To: 9-Inch Rebuild
- Watching Currie Enterprises put together Ford’s 9-inch rearend shows why it’s the best ever made
How To: Dent Repair
- For those who want to tackle their own repair work, we give you some pointers
Surgeon General’s Warning
- Nelson Grossnickle’s ’65 GT fastback
- David Zech’s ’68 GT500KR fastback
- Louis J. Noplos’ ’68 GT fastback
Car 54 Where Are You?
- Bob Perkins’ ’69 Boss 429
How To: 4.6 Two-Valve Upgrade
- Steeda Autosports transforms the Two-Valve 4.6 from meek to muscular
How To: A Basic Late-Model 5.0l Tune-Up
- We take you step-by-step through a 5.0L Mustang tune-up
Franklin–The Last Stop
- Our last trail ends at an MCA Grand National, and we couldn’t be happier
- The Bondurant School has some missiles with a mission–to make you a better driver
- Jeff Harris’ 1993 Cobra
Mustang Monthly – October 1998
Triple Threat Mustangs!
- Owners who live on the edge
How To: Detail A Rear Axle Housing
- The Lazurus Project gets a like-new axle housing, carrier, and brakes
How To: Door Hinge Rebuild
- Sagging doors can create a nagging problem that is easily fixed in a weekend
How To: Adjusting A Solid Lifter Cam Train
- With a solid lifter cam in your pony, you need to maintain the correct valve lash
How To: Install A Power Antenna On Your ’65-68 Mustang
- Here’s a good way to keep your antenna out of harm’s way
- Jimmy Lawrence’s ’65 hardtop
Near The End Of The Line
- Perry’ Hahn’s ’69 GT500
- Joanne Hall’s ’68 GT/CS
- Brent Burris’ ’90 LX 5.0
Mustang: New For 1999!
- The latest rendition of the Mustang is here
How To: Rebuild A T5 Transmission
- If rowing through the gears is getting difficult, it’s time to look inside
How To: 5.0 Engine Detailing
- Get your 5.0’s go ready for show
How To: Headliner Install
- Years of grime and heat can devastate your Mustang’s cloth headliner
Mustang Monthly – November 1998
Building The Perfect Beast
- Tips on building a HOT street Mustang
- Mustang Monthly goes cruisin’ on the information super highway
How To: Small-Block Detailing
- Our Project ’68 gets dressed for the prom
- Peter Fagan’s ’67 GT fastback
- Judy Wendland’s ’76 Cobra II
Vintage Racing Edelbrock Style
- Christi Edelbrock’s ’66 GT350
- Fred Haywood’s ’66 convertible
Better Red Than Dead
- Low Budget Plus Old Paint Equals a Trip To Maaco
How To: Late-Model Cooling System Upgrade
- We help the Modern Mach get ready for some serious horsepower
New! Eastwood Home Powdercoat System
- Coming soon to your garage and easy bake oven
Second Round Reward
- Anthony Davidson’s ’85 GT hatchback
- Bob Sommerfield’s ’70 Boss 302
Mustang Monthly – December 1998
- Exclusive interview with the snake charmer
- Autolite vs. Holley
- George Tamsulas’ ’65 hardtop
How To: Heater Core Replacement On A ’64-1/2 To ’66
- Wet floors are a sure sign that something is amiss in the little hot box.
How To: Disc Brake Conversion
- Granada/Monarch/Versailles disc brakes on a Mustang.
To The Max
- Max Leonard’s ’68 GT convertible
- Kelly Hewitt’s ’69 convertible
- Steve Yates’ ’66 Supercharged GT-350
- Jerry Sode’s ’72 SportsRoof Sprint
Pony Trails 1998
- Looking back from the saddle
Christmas Wish List
- Even Santa looks here to discover the best Christmas gifts for Mustangers
How To: Concert Hall Sound For Your Late-Model Mustang
- Crutchfield’s catalog has what it takes to go from mild to wild in aftermarket audio
- Maryse Bissonette’s ’94 GT convertible
How To: Holley Annihilator Ignition Upgrade
- Holley’s new ignition systems increase performance on fuel-injected 5.0s
- Fix your foglights to run without the headlights on.